The MTC – Mauritius Turf Club was created on June 25, 1812, after the English Jockey Club, founded in 1750, and the Irish Turf Club, which was born in 1790. It is the third oldest equestrian club in the world and also the oldest organizing club for races in the southern hemisphere. The first day of MTC races at the Champ de Mars was organized on June 25, 1812. It was the then English Governor Sir Robert Farquhar, assisted by his wife, Lady Maria, and four English army officers who founded the MTC. Colonel Draper took over and contributed immensely to the development of the club and the races in Mauritius.
The project was to reconcile two important components of Mauritian society, namely the English and the French, then new and old masters of the island. At the same time, by setting up the MTC and developing the Champ de Mars, the founding fathers of Mauritian horseracing endowed the country with the oldest horseracing institution and the oldest racecourse in the southern hemisphere.
Photos – MTC / MTCSL